Fancy a hearty breakfast? We recommend this brekkie - perfect for Winter!
Around 200 calories per serving (without bread):
- High fibre
- Vitamin B2
- Low in cholesterol
- Vitamin C
Serves: 4-6 (most of these ingredients can be modified to suit individual preferences e.g. whether you like more veggies or more protein)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1-2 green peppers (sliced)
- 1-2 zuccini (diced)
- 4 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2-3 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tsp chilli flakes
- 600g chopped tin tomatoes
- ½ of a lemon's juice
- 4-6 eggs (depending on preference)
- ½-1 cup red kidney beans
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 1 tbsp coriander (chopped)
- ¼ cup basil leaves (chopped)
- 4 small wholemeal pitta bread
- Cook onion and garlic on medium heat for around 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Add in peppers and zucchini. Once all ingredients are soft, add in paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, spinach and lemon juice, before bringing to the boil. Keep on simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Make space for the eggs in the sauce and break these in. Turn the heat down to low and cook until the eggs are at desired preference.
- Sprinkle chilli, basil and coriander over mixture just before serving
- Serve communal style with toasted wholemeal pitta on the side.
Tip: If you have too much sauce, freeze for a later stage. For a quick leftover breakfast, simply defrost the sauce and pour over some boiled or fried eggs (see picture below).